i) tracking my net worth
ii) motivating myself to spend less, save and invest more
Best Financial Decision:
Spending money to earn an engineering degree and then putting it to use, day-in and day-out.
Note that this decision also meant that I utterly sold out to the man.
Worst Financial Decision:
Loaned 2K to sibling. Big surprise -- I never saw the money again, and the cash failed to have any meaningful effect on his life or direction.
I'm lucky that the worst financial decision of my life only cost me 2k!
Current Financial Strategy:
Simple financial strategy.
1) Max 401K every year.
2) Max IRA contribution every year.
3) Zero debt. (Yes, I have a mortgage. But that's it! I don't even have a car loan.)
4) Invest all additional disposable income into low-cost broad market index funds
5) Sticking with my strategy even through these crappy times... i.e. a commitment to the market despite staggering losses in 2008.
How I manage my money:
1) Direct deposits into investment accounts.
2) Direct bill pay for standard monthly services
3) Manual monthly checkup to ensure everything is in order.